AFTER 10 LONG YEARS OF BEING MISDIAGNOSED WE FINALLY CONCLUDED THAT HUBBY HAS CELIAC AND THAT THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN BENIFIT FROM ELIMINATING OR LIMITING GLUTEN FROM OUR DIETS. I AM NOT A GOOD COOK BY ANY MEANS AND FRANKLY DISLIKED COOKING ALTOGHETHER, BUT IN JAN 2010 THAT ALL CHANGED. HERE IS OUR JOURNEY BEING G-FREE....

Friday, April 16, 2010

The First Thing We Did...

So how does one get started with a whole new outlook on food? The Internet of course, and books galore. My friend Michelle lent us a few books and the one that not only surprised us but was the most helpful was Elizabeth Hasselback's book. Hubby found her story to be very similar with the exception of being on a reality show then marrying a NFL player and being on a talk show that is... Her tips were so right on with what we needed to implement. Cross contamination is key for us. If we are going to have gluten in the house for the kids then I have to be very careful not to cross contaminate hubby's food. The smallest amount will make him sick all over again... Sprouts and Henrys are great whole food style markets that carry a variety of gluten free food. The staff at Sprouts are very helpful. G-free mall online is a great resource for different brands, and we subscribe to Living Without magazine as well. My favorite cook book thus far is Gluten-Free Quick and Easy by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. I have made several dishes from this book and we really love the flavor and look forward to making more.I recently made homemade chicken nuggets using gluten free corn flakes for the breading and they are really good. I have not made many baked goods yet, but I am feeling the bug. We'll see how they turn out.
A few staples I keep in the house are: Pamela's Baking Mix, Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips. When hubby works from home I make chocolate chip pancakes and scrambled eggs. My little one loves the pancakes and will eat them throughout the day, dry.
One really big thing that had to change was hubby's sweet tooth. There are a few candy companies that make g-free lines. Butterfingers's popular and so are the little Dove squares, plain milk choc. And of course popcorn is always in our house. We bought a movie style popper for Christmas last year and Hubby likes simply salted types of microwave popping corns.
So now that I have listed a few staples I have to add that yesterday I signed up with Weight Watchers. I am not sure if I am going crazy or not, but what the heck while I am at it, right? So from here on out I will post both types of fun....

No comments:

Post a Comment